Gather the Following Ingredients
The Ottolenghi couscous recipe requires the following ingredients:
- 1 and a half cups of couscous
- 2 tablespoons of the spice mix ras el hanout
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 and two-thirds cups of boiling water
- 2 thinly sliced onions
- 10 ounces of cherry tomatoes
- 1 quarter of a cup of golden raisins
- A third of a cup of roughly chopped salted and toasted almonds
- A teaspoon of roasted and crushed cumin seeds
- 3 quarters of a cup each of roughly chopped cilantro and mint leaves
- A teaspoon of lemon zest
- A tablespoon of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Preparing the Couscous Salad by Chef Ottolenghi
In a bowl, mix the couscous with one teaspoon of ras el hanout, three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt, plenty of pepper, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Pour boiling water over the couscous, stir, and cover with foil for 20 minutes. Remove the foil.
In a large frying pan on high heat, fry the tomatoes for 4 minutes in a tablespoon of olive oil. Remove the tomatoes from the pan, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and set aside. Return the pan to medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Fry the onions seasoned with a tablespoon of ras el hanout and a bit of salt for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the raisins.
Final Steps and Serving
Transfer the couscous into a large bowl and add the onions and raisins. Mix in the lemon juice and zest, cilantro, mint, almonds, and cumin. Season with a generous grind of pepper and a quarter of a teaspoon of salt. Transfer the chef Ottolenghi salad onto a serving plate and top with the roasted tomatoes.