If you love mac and cheese and want to take a slightly more refined approach to it, try out this delicious French onion casserole recipe! The thick and creamy sauce of Gruyere, cheddar, and caramelized onions coats the pasta and provides a deep and rich flavor. The recipe takes about an hour.
The Necessary Ingredients
To make this scrumptious casserole, you will need:
- 2 large sweet onions sliced thinly
- 2 and a half cups of heavy cream
- 2 cups of unsalted vegetable stock
- 3 cups of shredded aged Gruyere (leave half a cup for topping)
- 1 cup (divided) of shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 medium clove of garlic grated
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 and a half teaspoons of salt, divided
- Worcestershire sauce – 1 and a half tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- A 16-ounce package of penne rigate or ziti pasta
- A pinch of nutmeg
Assembling the Casserole
Coat a baking dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat oil in a large skillet. Use medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, cook the onions and half a teaspoon of salt for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the onions turn jammy and golden, 15-18 minutes. Add a quarter-cup of water if the onions start to burn.
In the meantime, combine the stock and cream in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then mix in the pasta. Stirring occasionally, cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Add the remaining salt, nutmeg, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat and begin adding the cheese a handful at a time, stirring until melted.
Time to Bake
Mix half of the caramelized onions in the pasta mixture then transfer it to the baking dish. Top with the remaining caramelized onions and grated cheese. Place on the center rack and bake for 20 minutes until bubbly. Move the dish to the top rack and broil for 3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with thyme, and wait 10 minutes before serving the casserole. Enjoy!