What’s Needed for the Shrimp Cocktail
For six to eight servings of the shrimp cocktail you will need:
- 2 pounds of peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 pounds of ice
- 6 cups of water
- 2 lemons
- Half of a small onion, peeled and halved
- A small bunch of parsley
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of salt
Boiling the Shrimp
Pour ice to fill a large bowl halfway and set aside. Chop one lemon into wedges. In a large pot, mix six cups of water, salt, sugar, onion, and five sprigs of parsley. Halve the second lemon and squeeze the juice into the pot (watch out for pits). When the water comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the shrimp to the pot.
The shrimp should become pink and cook through in about three minutes. At that point, remove them from the pot using a slotted spoon and place them into the prepared bowl of ice.
The Secret Is in the Sauce
For the delicious sauce to be served with your shrimp cocktail, you should prepare:
- Half a cup of mild chili sauce
- 2 dashes of hot sauce
- Half a cup of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- A tablespoon of horseradish
- Celery salt – a quarter of a teaspoon
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl until they’re properly combined. Place the shrimp on the serving dish of your choice, garnish them with lemon wedges and parsley, and serve with a bowl of sauce!